You’ve probably seen bloggers showing off their free product/reviews and wondered how can I do that? It’s actually super simple, but it is VERY time-consuming. This is NOT just a job to get FREE things. Don’t get me wrong, it is great to get free stuff but, there is a lot of work that goes into it!
Below I will tell you what you need to do to become a product review blogger.
First you will need to:
- Decide on your niche and then come up with a blog name.
- Set up your email address. I use gmail but you can use whatever you choose.
- You will need to pick a host and buy a domain. I suggest HostGator. You can pay monthly which I love.
- Set up your blog. I used wordpress and really like it but, you can also use blogger.
- Pick a theme. You can either use one of the free ones that wordpress offers or choose to purchase one. I use Pixel Me Designs! She does great work.
- Get your social media sites set up. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Now you are ready to start reviewing! First you will want to do reviews on items you have purchased. Be sure to have at least 20 reviews on your blog before pitching any companies.
- Once you have your 20 review posts up, you are ready to start pitching companies.
- Pitching is the hard part for a lot of reason, you don’t want to send them the same thing other bloggers are.
- Make a small paragraph in the beginning introducing yourself and your blog.
- Then in bullets, or paragraphs. (I do paragraphs) Put your rules for your reviews. A few of my rules are company must ship products, product has to be a minimum value of $25. Also let them know of other companies you have worked with.
- Then at the bottom put sincerely, regards, whichever ending you choose. Be sure to include your name, blog name, email and shipping address.
- Remember to keep it short and sweet. Get to the point quickly so that you don’t end up boring them. You want them to read the whole email!
- Don’t email on weekends! Make a list and wait until Monday to send out those emails.
- You will include information about you and your life. Ex. Tell them about your significant other, kids, pets. Let them get to know you! Keep it short and sweet.
- What style of blogger are you? Do you reviews products from all categories? Only beauty products? Include that in there!
- You want to include you stats for all social media sites as well as how many monthly page views you get on your blog.
- Be sure to put what types of things you offer. Sponsored posts, reviews, giveaways, etc.
- Make sure that you post your email as well! You don’t want to miss that!
- You can see my Media Kit HERE
Making the Reviews and Giveaways
- Be sure that you add a disclosure at the top of the post stating that you received the product for free or that the post is sponsored. You CAN get in trouble if you don’t do this.
- As far as writing the review, you can do as you please. Just be sure to always add your own pictures, your opinion on the product and a little bit about the company. I always follow the who, what, where, when, why formula. How did it work, smell, what is the cost?
- Always be sure to post a link to the company. Make sure that it is a NO FOLLOW link! You can also post links to other places, I try to keep it under 5 links per post!
- If the company is offering a giveaway, be sure to post the link to the giveaway. I use giveaway tools but there are a lot of free options you can choose from.
- If the company is on social media, share those channels at the bottom of your post.
- Once your review is live be sure to share on all social networks and send the link in an email to the company!
If you follow these steps you will be on your way to being a great product reviewer! Don’t forget that this isn’t just so you can get free products. There is a LOT of work involved in writing a great review. If your review is going to be late, ALWAYS email the company and let them know. You don’t want to give bloggers a bad name!